George Hunter's Great Survey of 1730
Surveyor General George Hunter accompanied some traders and a very interesting baronet, Sir Alexander Cuming, from Charleston to Keowee. George Hunter recorded each day's distance in miles and named each night's place of lodging. He also labeled the streams on a map. The trip from Charleston to Congre (Congrees/Saxe Gotah/Granby) took 8 days. From their to Keowee took another 7 days.
Hunter's route went from Charleston to Moncks Corner along Highway #52 and "Old 52. Then it followed Highway #6 along the west bank of the Santee past the Indian mound/Fort Watson site and on through the St. Matthews area to West Columbia, where several old roads met to cross the Congaree at the Fall Line. It went from West Columbia (Granby) to the Lexington area where it followed the high ground above the Saluda River through "Saludy Old Town" to 96 (which referred to 2 sets of streams, not to a specific distance from place to place).
The Path was the main road and more roads were being cut - from Charleston to Augusta; Charleston to Orangeburg to Granby; and from Charleston to Orangeburg to Ridge Spring to 96. By 1747 the public road and mile markers are mentioned. The Cherokee Path/Public Road changed its location in the upcountry as needed to accommodate 4 wheeled vehicles. The new road was, in places, moved several miles.
From 96 the Path went through the Coronaca, Cokesbury, Hodges and Due West areas. From there it went through the Anderson and Pendleton areas. Startring here, the streams were numbered in miles, from "6 and 20" mile creek down to "6 mile" and "1 mile" creek, an the Path ended at the lower Cherokee town of Keowee on the Keowee River. Much of the town is now either under Lake Keowee or held by a local power company and thus undeveloped.
© 1999 - 2009 The South Carolina Genealogical Society, Inc.
© 2002 - 2009 Roy Vandegrift, III
Visitors since 3/29/04